The University of Chicago Center in Delhi provides a physical presence to deepen the capacity for scholarship and teaching in connection with India and enhances and strengthens the rich collaborations between the University of Chicago and Indian academics and institutions. The center serves as a base in India, supporting the work of University of Chicago faculty, graduate students, and undergraduates from each of the University’s divisions, schools, and the College. The center also hosts executive education and career development programs, fosters exchange programs and fellowship, serves as a gathering space for alumni throughout India, and acts as a resource for Indian researchers and students.
The University created the appropriate operational infrastructure to house the Center’s programs and activities. Located in the heart of Delhi, the University leases a 12,500 square foot ground floor commercial space. The new center is similar to the Center in Beijing. It contains offices for faculty, staff and graduate students, seminar rooms, a lecture hall and study areas, as well as spaces for hosting conferences, seminars, exhibits, receptions, public gatherings, and colloquia.
- Project Manager: Nick Nichols
- Assistant Project Manager: Maya Gharpure
- Architects: Robarts Interiors and Architecture; vir.mueller Architects
- Client Representative: CBRE South Asia Pvt. Ltd
- Project Contact: Nick Nichols, email@example.com
- March 2013: Architect firm was selected.
- Spring 2013: Design phase began.
- September 2013: Construction began.
- December 2013: Construction completed.
- January 2014: Tenants moved-in.
- March 28-30, 2014: Grand opening celebration.