The new 86,543-square-foot Facilities Services building is located at 52nd Street and Cottage Grove Avenue and houses 125 University of Chicago employees working in the trade shops, landscaping and inventory departments. These departments were housed in the ATS building (American Taxi Service) on Stony Island Avenue, the eastern edge of campus. The new facility’s first floor includes a loading dock with receivable and shipping areas along with carpentry, steel, residential and landscaping shops. There is also 2,550-square-feet of retail space on the first floor. The rigorous use of precast panels is inspired by traditional Chicago industrial architecture. This architectural expression was designed to compliment the neighboring buildings, specifically the armory to the west. The building has a 21,500-square-foot green roof and is LEED certified.
- Senior Project Manager: Desiree DiLucente
- Design Builder: McShane Construction Company
- Project Contact: Desiree DiLucente, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fall 2013: Design Builder selected.
- Fall 2013: Completed design phase.
- Winter 2013: Began construction.
- April 2014: Precast panel and steel erection.
- July 2014: Began roof installation and parking lot excavation.
- August 2014: Build geothermal connections.
- September 2014: Pave parking lot; build out interior space.
- October 2014: Landscaping; green roof planting; street paving.
- January 2015: Complete construction and begin tenant move-in.