Planned Development (PD) 43 is the zoning designation that encompasses the contiguous campus of the University of Chicago and UChicago Medicine. It encourages unified planning and development that is compatible with the character of the campus and surrounding neighborhoods. The document governs land use, building and landscape design, and traffic management. The University campus is subdivided into twelve sub-areas, which further specify permitted use and building height.
Unique to PD 43 is the designation of Sub-Area O, which covers the University-owned properties in the 5700 block of S. Woodlawn Avenue. The University submits a Plan Update to the City of Chicago every five years to document updates and plans for this area of campus and to reaffirm its commitment to maintaining the character-defining architecture of the properties.
In addition to PD43, several other facilities associated with the University of Chicago are designated as Planned Developments. These include PD215 (Earl Shapiro Hall on S. Stony Island), PD 1216 (Facilities Services Building on S. Cottage Grove), and PD1287 (Woodlawn Charter School).
The linked PD43 document includes site plans, landscape plans, and building elevations for projects previously approved by the City of Chicago through amendments to the Planned Development.
Notifications & Documents:
- Sub-Area O Community Meeting Notice (Jan. 10, 2023)
- City of Chicago Zoning Map (Chicago.gov)
- Traffic Management Plan - 2020
- City of Chicago PD43 Document
- The University of Chicago Woodlawn Avenue Plan Sub-Area O, 2012 - 2016
- Update to The University of Chicago Woodlawn Avenue Plan Sub-Area O, 2017-2021
- Update to The University of Chicago Woodlawn Avenue Plan Sub-Area O, 2022-2026
- Woodlawn Charter - PD1287 (Chicago.gov)
- Earl Shapiro Hall - PD215 (Chicago.gov)