The completed renovation/expansion of the Laboratory Schools supports expansion of the Laboratory Schools from 1750 to 2050 students. New construction included an early childhood education unit and enhanced space for performing and visual arts. Renovations provided reorganized space for libraries, collaborative teaching and counseling, and faculty and administration offices, as well as improved life/safety systems, accessibility, sustainability and infrastructure. The plan resulted in the renovation of approximately 315,000 gross square feet and the construction of approximately 246,000 gross square feet, including an 115,000 gross square foot arts hall on the Belfield Hall site and 131,000 gross square foot Earl Shapiro Hall at 5800 Stony Island Avenue. The project consisted of three phases.
- Senior Project Manager: Jose L. Lopez Jr.
- Assistant Project Manager: Kareem Cousar
- Architect: FGM/Valerio Dewalt Train Associates
- Construction Manager: Lend Lease
- Project Contact: Jose L. Lopez Jr.
- June 2010: Basic project design and phasing plan developed.
- Summer 2013: Renovation work on existing Lab Schools campus began.
- November 2013: Foundation work for Arts Hall began.
- February 2014: Complete Blaine Hall East renovation.
- February 2014: Complete Arts Hall foundation and begin structure construction.
- March 2014: Began Blaine Hall West renovation.
- April 2014: Completed Gordon Parks Arts Hall foundation work.
- July 2014: Began renovations at Middle School.
- September 2014: Completed Blaine Hall West renovation.
- December 2014: Completed Gordon Parks Arts Hall building enclosure.
- June 2015: Begin Belfield East renovation.
- September 2015: Complete Gordon Park Arts Hall and Belfield East renovation.
- October 2015: Start of abatement and demolition
- January 2016: Start of Construction
- July 2016: 3rd & 4th Floor Structure added
- October 2016: Building enclosed
- May 2017: Substantial completion
- August 2017: Move-in