Through the years, there have been generous donors who have contributed to the campus landscape from a tree or bench memorializing an event or individual associated with the University, to establish an endowment to design, install and maintain gardens on the campus. These gifts have often served as the catalysts for new projects, and the opportunity to fully realize our visions for the garden.
If you would like to discuss the various opportunities available to support the garden, please contact:
Katie Martin Peck
Associate Director for Campus Environment
The University of Chicago - Facilities Services
5235 S Harper Ct., Suite 1000, Chicago, IL 60615
UChicago Donor Gardens
When the University developed the old fraternity house at 5555 South Woodlawn into the University's Alumni House, alumnae, Dani Kauffman, funded the installation of the garden and dedicated them to her parents. The gardens feature a variety of plantings similar to those found in estate gardens: shrub roses, daylilies, lilacs, yews, and mixed perennials. A notable feature in the spring is the weeping cherry tree on the upper lawn terrace.
The latest Hall Botanic Garden is located in the Crerar Quadangle, surrounded by both physical and biological sciences laboratories. The garden took a science theme for the primary feature, a large custom light fixture with two floating rings of light hovering over a large plaza, surrounded by a Red Pointe maples, planted in a circular bed of cranesbill and daffodils. Designed by Jacobs Ryan, the undulating lawn and groves of Dawn Redwoods and columnar Sweetgums set the stage for the plaza and its light feature.
Dr. Janet Rowley was a pioneer in cancer research at the University and an avid gardener at her home in Hyde Park. To mark the occasion of her 75th birthday, her colleagues gathered funds to establish this garden at the west side of Bond Chapel. Dr. Rowley was consulted throughout the garden's design and included a plant palette of some of her favorite perennials.