The Center for Care and Discovery is a ten story adult hospital focused on cancer, advanced surgery, high tech imaging, the neurosciences and gastrointestinal procedures.
The building is 1,200,000 GSF with floor plates of 102,000 gross square feet. Two floors will be “shelled space” for future expansion of services.
The Center for Care and Discovery will include 240 private patient rooms, space for 28 operating rooms (21 initially); an imaging department with space for 3 CT’s, 2 MR’s, 1 fluoroscopy room, 2 general radiology rooms, 7 interventional radiology rooms; and a gastroenterology procedures suite with 11 GI procedure rooms, 2 fluoroscopy rooms and 2 bronchoscopy rooms. The Center for Care and Discovery will also include an inpatient kitchen, cafeteria, sky lobby meeting rooms, ground floor retail space and clinical support services.
Rendering courtesy of Rafael Viñoly Architects
- Project Manager: Gary Mundinger, University of Chicago Hospitals
- Assistant Project Manager: U.S. Equities Realty/PMA
- Architect: Rafael Viñoly Architects (Design)
- Architect: Cannon Design (Health Care Planning)
- Construction Manager: Gilbane/W.E. O’Neil
- January 2010: Foundations completed.
- June 2010: Building enclosure started.
- July 2010: Interior build out began.
- Spring 2012: Construction completed.
- Winter 2013: First patient received.