The following are updates to the City’s water main project on 57th Street and Ellis Avenue. Facilities Services and the Office of Civic Engagement continue to work with the City to obtain as much information as early as possible.
City crews will mobilize onto Ellis Avenue to install a new water main as early as Monday, Sept. 14. This phase of the project is expected to be completed by November 2015.
Any needed water outages will be scheduled in advance with impacted clients and facilities as soon as the city makes that information available to the University.
Anticipated impacts from the project are as follows:
- Ellis Avenue will transition to a one-way, southbound road from 57th to 59th Streets.
- The east sidewalk will be closed and all pedestrians will be routed to the west sidewalk of Ellis Avenue.
- Parking will be prohibited along Ellis Avenue between 57th and 59th streets.
- Heavy machinery and construction vehicles will be visible along Ellis Avenue.
- Work hours will be 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Temporary transportation options along Ellis:
- CTA 171/172 buses will continue normal operations.
- University 53rd Street Express, Apostolic and Apostolic/Drexel will continue to run their normal operations.
- University South Route will be rerouted to travel westbound on 59th Street to Cottage Grove, north on Cottage Grove to 55th Street, east on 55th Street to Ellis, south on Ellis Avenue to 57th Street and east along 57th Street to staging area.