The Reva and David Logan Center for the Arts is designed to provide an appropriate home for visual arts teaching and studios, music and theatre instruction and performance, and film studies. The facility has been characterized as a “mixing bowl for the arts” that will foster opportunities for artistic collaboration and inquiry among faculty and students and with artists beyond the traditional boundaries of the University.
The building is situated adjacent to the historic Lorado Taft Midway Studios on the city block bounded by 60th, Ingleside, Drexel, and 61st Streets. The total building area is 184,000 gross square feet. The project team took all design steps necessary to achieve a goal of LEED Gold Certification, including the installation of solar panels on the saw-toothed roof of the artists’ studios and theater shops’ wing of the building.
Building features include two performance theaters, a 450-seat performance hall, a film screening room, shops for theater set construction and art making, café, and a variety of smaller performance venues, classrooms, music practice rooms, and individual artists’ studios.
Rendering courtesy of Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects; Selected photos courtesy of Tom Rossiter.
- Project Manager: Eric Eichler
- Assistant Project Manager: U.S. Equities Realty, Inc.
- Architect: Tod Williams Billie Tsien Architects
- Construction Manager: Turner Construction
- Project contact: Eric Eichler, firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 2009: Design finalized.
- September 2009: Building envelope restoration of adjacent Midway Studios and extension of south campus utility corridor to project site started.
- May 2010: Midway Studios restoration completed; Ceremonial groundbreaking held 12 May.
- June 2010: Foundation excavation and caisson installation started.
- August 2010: Foundations and underground mechanical installations started.
- November 2010: Foundations completed.
- April 2011: Tower topping out.
- Winter 2011: Superstructure complete.
- November 2011: Building enclosure complete.
- Spring 2012: Open for classes.
- Summer/Fall 2012: Performance Hall grand opening.
- October 2012: Grand opening.
Southeast view from the Midway
View Looking Down
10th Floor Terrace
8th Floor Conference Room
8th Floor Seating
2nd Floor Stair
2nd Floor Study
Black Box Theater
Performance Penthouse Lobby
Screening Room Lobby
Restoration of Midway Studios Taft House
Foundation Installation – Performance Hall
Logan Rendering Overview