The renovation/expansion of the Laboratory Schools will support expansion of the Laboratory Schools from 1750 to 2050 students. New construction includes an early childhood education unit and enhanced space for performing and visual arts. Renovations will provide reorganized space for libraries, collaborative teaching and counseling, and faculty and administration offices, as well as improve life/safety systems, accessibility, sustainability and infrastructure. The plan will result in the renovation of approximately 315,000 gross square feet and the construction of approximately 246,000 gross square feet, including an 115,000 gross square foot arts hall on the Belfield Hall site and 131,000 gross square foot Earl Shapiro Hall at 5800 Stony Island Avenue. The project consists of three phases: Earl Shapiro Hall, Phase 1, opened in September 2013. Phases 2 and 3 include renovations of the existing campus and construction of the Gordon Parks Arts Hall.
- Senior Project Manager: Jose L. Lopez Jr.
- Assistant Project Manager: Kareem Cousar
- Architect: FGM/Valerio Dewalt Train Associates
- Construction Manager: Lend Lease
- Project Contact: Jose L. Lopez Jr., email@example.com
- June 2010: Basic project design and phasing plan developed.
- Summer 2013: Renovation work on existing Lab Schools campus began.
- November 2013: Foundation work for Arts Hall began.
- February 2014: Complete Blaine Hall East renovation.
- February 2014: Complete Arts Hall foundation and begin structure construction.
- March 2014: Began Blaine Hall West renovation.
- April 2014: Completed Gordon Parks Arts Hall foundation work.
- July 2014: Began renovations at Middle School.
- September 2014: Completed Blaine Hall West renovation.
- December 2014: Completed Gordon Parks Arts Hall building enclosure.
- June 2015: Begin Belfield East renovation.
- September 2015: Complete Gordon Park Arts Hall and Belfield East renovation.
- November 2015: Target to commence Judd Hall to University High new bridge link.
- March 2016: Target to complete University High cafeteria renovation.
Progress on the north facade, March 2015.
Northwest elevation of the Gordon Parks Arts Hall, May 2014.
Forms in place for the auditorium walls of the Gordon Parks Arts Hall.
Blaine Hall West renovation in progress.
Rendering of the Gordon Parks Arts Hall main entrance.
North view of Gordon Parks Arts Hall.
Gordon Parks Arts Hall entrance lobby.
Gordon Parks Arts Hall practice stage.
Gordon Parks Arts Hall assembly lobby.
Gordon Parks Arts Hall assembly hall.
Gordon Parks Arts Hall art studio.