The Adaptive Reuse of 5757 South University consists of the renovation of the current Chicago Theological Seminary building that fronts 58th Street from Woodlawn to University Avenues adjacent to the University of Chicago Main Quadrangles. It is proposed that the 66,486 gross square foot building, constructed in 1923-27, will be renovated to house faculty and student offices, research and instruction facilities for the University’s distinguished Department of Economics and office, conference, and research facilities for the Becker Friedman Institute for Research in Economics. The renovation will include repairs and upgrades of the building envelope, HVAC, and electrical and voice/data systems, and bring the building infrastructure up to all required life/safety and accessibility codes.
The Seminary Co-Op Bookstore, an independently owned and operated store long associated with the University campus, was housed in the basement of the building and has been relocated into newly renovated space in McGiffert House across the street along Woodlawn Avenue.
Rendering Courtesy of Ann Beha Architects
- Project Manager: Jose L. Lopez Jr.
- Assistant Project Manager: Sara Matesevac
- Architect/Engineer: Ann Beha Architects
- Construction Manager: Turner Construction
Project Contact: Jose Lopez, email@example.com
- March 2010: Ann Beha Architects selected as project architect
- September 2010: Tigerman/McCurry Architects selected to design renovation for Seminary Co-Op Bookstore
- Fall 2012: Started construction.
- June 2014: Completion
Construction of east ComEd vault.
Scaffolding on northeast section.